At least 10 people were killed and eight wounded on Wednesday following a suspected suicide attack on a Kabul mosque during afternoon prayers. The attack took place in an area north of the Afghan capital, around 7:00 p.m. (local time; 4:30 p.m. in mainland Spain), official Malavi Mohammad Yasee told Efe.
“According to our information so far, the blast was caused by a suicide bomber who blew himself up inside the mosque during evening prayers, killing 10 people and injuring 8 more,” Yasee said. Another Taliban official who did not want to maintain his anonymity assured Efe that the well-known mawlawi (Muslim religious scholar) Malavi Amir Mohammad was also among the dead.
The Italian NGO Emergency, which has one of the main hospitals in Kabul, has counted more victims of the explosion. According to a message posted on Twitter, at least 27 people were received at the Emergency hospital. “There are 5 children among them, including a 7-year-old,” she said in her message on the social network.
The main spokesman for the Taliban government, Zabihullah Mujahid, expressed in a statement his Administration’s condemnation “of the explosion in a mosque” and wished the wounded a speedy recovery, in addition to assuring that “the murderers and perpetrators of such crimes they will soon be captured and punished for their heinous acts.”
No armed group has claimed responsibility for the attack so far. Despite the end of the war after the withdrawal of international troops and the victory of the Taliban, Afghanistan has suffered several of its bloodiest attacks since the Islamists rose to power a year ago.
Most of these attacks have been carried out by the Islamic State jihadist group, which has become the main threat to security in Afghanistan and maintains an intense rivalry with the Taliban.
Join EL PAÍS to follow all the news and read without limits.